• June 7Summer Vocal Concert is June 9th-10th at 2pm and 7pm!

• June 7Start Studying For Finals!

• June 7Summer is only 2 weeks away!

The 8th Annual Thirst Gala

Thuy Pham and Brooklyn Hollander

On Tuesday, April 18th, Academy of Global students, alongside Academy directors Laura Mayberry and Kareem Captan, were given the opportunity to attend the eighth annual Thirst Gala in Beverly Hills, California. The awards ceremony and after party were held in the International Ballroom at the Beverly Hilton. The students who had the opportunity to attend included many freshmen, sophomores and juniors from the Academy of Global Studies.

“Going to the Thirst Gala was life-changing. Not only were the speeches great, but the overall energy and vibe that the crowd and guests gave off felt great. On top of that, I got to meet some of my favorite celebrities and even see Andy Grammer perform live,” said freshman Lucie Giannoni.

Corona del Mar is the number one contributing school to the Thirst Project, with over $50,000 raised. Over the past three years that the Academy of Global Studies has existed students have provided thousands of people in Africa with clean drinking water for life.According to Mayberry, the vision of the Thirst Project fits perfectly into the vision that her and Captan had for the Academy of Global Studies. From this, Mayberry and Captan reached out to Evan Wesley and Seth Maxwell to form a partnership between the Thirst Project and Academy of Global Studies.

At the eighth annual Thirst Gala, a memorable event took place at the awards ceremony for the two directors of the Academy of Global Studies. Mayberry and Captan received the Thirst Project Volunteer Award for their work with the Thirst Gala. Actress Charisma Carpenter and actor Drake Bell, presented the award to the teachers and congratulated them. Not only was it memorable for the two, but it was also memorable to CdM students who had the opportunity to attend.

The awards ceremony lasted for approximately two hours. During the ceremony, students were able to listen to and experience great performances by OkGo! and Andy Grammer alongside his wife, Aijia Grammer. Celebrity appearances to present awards included Charisma Carpenter, Drake Bell, Shane Harper, Laura Marano, Drew Seeley, and many more. Other special guest appearances included youtubers such as Andrea Russett, Jonah Green, Griffin Arnlund, model Alexis Ren, and more.

At the awards ceremony, CEO and founder Maxwell spoke to the audience about how he, alongside other college friends back in 2010 came to the decision of starting the Thirst Project. From making people on the streets of Los Angeles to building the world’s largest youth organization that works to provide clean drinking water for underdeveloped countries, Maxwell and his peers have come a long way. According to Maxwell, there are still billions of people in the world who still do not have access to clean drinking water. One of the goals that he hopes to achieve with the Thirst Project is to give everyone in Swaziland, a small African country easy access to clean drinking water for their entire lives.

The ceremony was concluded by some final words from CEO and founder Maxwell once again. Afterwards, students were able to attend a fun after-party, where they had the opportunity to meet many important public figures. Many students were able to get pictures with some of their favorite celebrities. It was truly a memorable experience for these students who had been apart of the effort to help end the global water crisis.

Students and guests left the event with increased knowledge and awareness of the global water crisis that is not only occurring in African countries, but also countries like El Salvador in South America. After hearing Maxwell and many other public figures speak on the topic, many students were inspired to go out and do more for the gala. The dedication that students had for the Thirst Project was showcased not only in their overall work, but also at the live auction that took place during the awards ceremony. The Thirst Project has provided students and even adults to be more involved in ending the global water crisis and recognize people in countries who are suffering through this right now.