A Show of Hands

Logan Nixon, Journalist

On November 29th and 30th in the CdM theater, the CdM Middle School advanced drama class put on A Show of Hands. The show was directed by the Middle School drama teacher Ms. Lindt. The performance was comedic puppet show for all ages. The show was about a highschool reunion, and all of the puppets that attended. All of the puppets had a different look and a unique personality.

The comedy of the show had something for all ages. The puppets being middle aged had a lot of adult humor and comedy for younger audience as well. Kevin Sontag, an actor in the production stated, “ I really enjoyed this experience. The best part was learning how to make a puppet come to life.”

The set design consisted of three levels, creating a visual interest and allowed the audience to see all action on the stage. All parts of the stage were used, giving a different feel for each scene. The left wing was used as a coffee bar, where the actors used funny pick-up line on the barista. A comedic act was when all of the backstage puppets peered their heads onto the stage, when the server tried to give the elderly lady her food. Also, the staircase on stage right was used in the beginning of the play for comedic effect for one of the characters.The lighting on the stage helped show the contrast between each scene. There was a spotlight the bounced around from each scene to create a focal point for the audience.

All of the actors did a great job portraying their characters and using their puppets. The comedy throughout the play was hysterical and focused on current events. The set design and lighting complemented the performance well. All in all, A Show of Hands was a great performance to watch.