Violence Impacting the Youth of San Salvador

Back to Article
Back to Article

Tara Zadeh, Journalist

The vast majority of current news and spotlights fall on the substantial caravan migrating to the United States border, but amid the fight of hoping to obtain better economical and social lives, the population of young people, who did not choose to partake in the caravan is still a significant topic. A Central American country that is widely known for prevalent conflict is El Salvador. Amid the frequent violence that takes place in the city of San Salvador, the population of young people are facing hardships in the attempt to build a future. El Salvador is characterized by underemployment or unemployment because job positions are unavailable, primarily due to monetary reasons. The lack of jobs contributes to considerable poverty, which is difficult to escape because county’s that face similar circumstances as San Salvador, are locked in a loop that often causes its people to be unable to progress in occupations of financial status.

For individuals who have lived in and been surrounded by an environment where violence and crime is prevalent, it is difficult to move forward, get an education, and create a different life. When there is little to no opportunity for obtaining a college education, and when the norms of society advocate not completing secondary education, what incentive is there for individuals to move away from the crime that characterizes El Salvador. Many young people will simply be absorbed into the population gangs. With immigrants more prominently being unable to enter developed countries, there is little hope for many corrupt Central American societies to change.

The minister of defense, David Manguía Payés, has noted that gang activity has increased dramatically, with a current number of about 60,00 individuals involved in gangs in El Salvador. In 2016, 5278 deaths were attributed to violence. That estimated to roughly 14 to 15 people killed daily. How will this number impact the children of the city, and how will it affect their futures.

For many citizens of El Salvador, immigration is the only option, but with increasingly strict immigration laws, where do people have to go?

In 2012, a national truce was declared in which gangs pledged to end a sunstaictal amount of violent practices and the state committed to reducing its most repressive anti-gang strategies. However, only two years later, the truce fell apart and violence persists, and maybe even on a more increased basis.

The two sources used were the Independent and the Columbia Broadcasting System (CBS). The Independent is a United Kingdom-based online media source. It is known to have liberal bias, but eh information it publishes is accurate and credible. CBS is an American-English mainstream media source. It is also identifiable with bias, but the information it promotes is widely-accepted and valid.