Battle of the Bay Dance

Ivy Hollander and Tara Afshar

Following our amazing win against Harbor, the CdM high school students had another event to look forward to: The Battle of the Bay Dance. The dance was held at the Ocean Institute in Dana Point, where you could sit at a table overlooking the many boats at the dock while having refreshments with friends. The venue was packed, with over 500 tickets sold and filled to the brim with everyone all dressed up in formal attire.

Prior to the dance, groups of students met up to take pictures with their friends and have dinner before driving down to Dana Point. The event started at 7 o’clock PM and ended at 10 o’clock PM, but people started to trickle in about fifteen minutes into the dance. While waiting for the DJs to start, students had the option to pet starfish in small tanks and have a refreshing popsicle. Towards the entrance there were two tables on either side: one with multiple refreshments, and the other with sweet treats like donuts and different varieties of candy. Alongside the dance floor was a photo booth, where people lined up to take pictures of themselves with goofy accessories and funny poses. And adjacent to that benches surrounded a fire pit where students could enjoy roasted smores that were freshly made in the warmth of the glowing fire.

During Battle of the Bay Week, students had the option to vote by google form for their grade’s king and queen. After they tallied up the points, the top three for each gender and grade were chosen. On Trident TV, they interviewed the nominees to get all of the students well acquainted to who they could vote for. Each grade voted for who they thought deserved to win, throughout the entire week and the voting period ended on Friday. On the night of the dance, the winners were announced at about 8:45 PM and given their own crowns to take home. The winners for the Freshman class were Kevin Joynt and Bridget Anderson, and for the Sophomore class Tommy Bouda and Bella Pouliot got to take home their crowns. As for the Junior class the winners were Micah Look and Sydney Fernandez. Lastly, the Senior Court winners were Ari Froehlich and Kiersten Muse.

As the dance was coming to a close, more and more students had started to leave on their means of transport, and the dance floor started to clear. Some stragglers remained as the DJ’s took song requests and ended the night strong with songs like “Mr Brightside” by The Killers, “Come on Eileen” by Dexy’s Midnight Runners, and “Sweet Caroline” by Neil Diamond. By 10 o’clock PM those lingering had filed out and most upperclassmen had already left to go to after parties held by fellow students.

After a week of spirit and rally preparations, the Battle of the Bay Dance was a nice way to celebrate our schools win against Harbor and let loose. And although Winter Formal isn’t until February, we can be sure that it will be just as enjoyable.