Hurricane Michael

Back to Article
Back to Article

Hurricane Michael

Photo by Jason Hanna

Photo by Jason Hanna

Photo by Jason Hanna

Audrey Tumbarello, Journalist

Hitting landfall on Wednesday evening, Hurricane Michael has caused tremendous destruction to Florida. According to CBS News, Michael is the third most powerful hurricane to hit land in the U.S. Also, according to CBS News, Michael has already killed six people, and has cause flash flooding in North and South Carolina, and Virginia. It was a category four hurricane, with winds up to 155 mph. Recently it turned into a tropical storm. Just when it landed on Wednesday near Mexico Beach on the Florida Panhandle, it ruined 900,000 houses, and buildings. According to World Vision, the power is out for more than 700,000 people in the southeast. Hurricane Michael did not start in Florida, it started in the southwest Caribbean Sea. Even though the hurricane has turned into a tropical storm, Florida has not been hit with a hurricane since 2005, according to CNN. Some destruction includes a high school completely ruined, gas station awnings twisted beyond recognition, and trucks folded in half, according to the Washington Post.

One survivor of the hurricane said, “It looked like a bomb was dropped.” According to the New York TImes, search and rescue teams have started to start their process of finding people, in Florida, as of October eleventh, and even though six have died, the death toll is supposed to increase. According to CNN, the search and rescue teams have rescued 40 people and assisted 232. Now the tropical storm in moving North from Florida. The weather has been so dangerous and horrific that five hospitals, five nursing homes, and fifthteen living facilities have been evacuated, according to the New York Times.

There has been seven hurricanes in 2018 so far, and this does not include the many tropical storms. Hurricane Michael being rank as one of the top three hurricanes in history surelly did some damage, and the tropical storm, it has turned into, is still not finished.