A New Way to Eat Ice Cream: Fish Cones

Processed with VSCO with c1 preset

Processed with VSCO with c1 preset

Thuy Pham

Thuy Pham

Processed with VSCO with c1 preset

Thuy Pham, Journalist

If one is looking for an innovative, aesthetically pleasing, and overall fun way to enjoy classic soft-serve ice creams, look no further than Somi Somi. From its home in Koreatown, Los Angeles, Somi Somi has expanded its locations through corporate stores, pop-up stores, and franchises from their home in Los Angeles to as far as Hawaii. Somi Somi was formed in addition to Sul & Beans, a traditional Korean dessert cafe, by Matt Kim. Images of this special dessert began blowing up on social media networks and food lovers’ blogs at the end of last year.

The store is notable for their take on the traditional Japanese desserts known as taiyaki. Taiyaki is a Japanese fish-shaped batter cake that is typically filled with red bean paste. Other common fillings include custard, chocolate or nutella, sweet potato, and even cheddar cheese. Some other unique fillings include dumpling filling and even a sausage. The name comes from the Japanese word for sea bream, which is ‘tai.’ The spin that Somi Somi put on this classic dessert is something that blew many customers and food fanatics away.

Instead of serving only taiyaki, this dessert shop rolls out hundred of fish cones daily. The Korean name for this new dessert is known as ‘ah-boong,’ a term coined by the founders of Somi Somi. It is composed of a freshly-baked fish cone, which is then filled with one of three fillings, including red bean paste, custard, and nutella. After that, customers can choose from one of the four unique flavors of Somi Somi, including matcha, black sesame, milk, and ube. Additionally, certain locations are serving up unique flavors such as Oreo and Milk Tea, which are available exclusively at their Diamond Jamboree location in Irvine. Once the soft-serve is swirled into the cone, customers can choose from unlimited toppings from the toppings bar before it is topped of with either a strawberry or a macaron.

Since its expansion from its hometown in Los Angeles, Somi Somi’s closest location to Corona del Mar High School and Newport Beach is either the Irvine Spectrum or the Diamond Jamboree location. Due its immense amount of popularity and demand, lines are always running out of the door, especially during the rush hour which occurs after lunch and dinner. By hopping on this trend, customers can expect a unique experience in both the aesthetic aspect and the flavor aspect.