Speech and Debate 9/25 Meeting

Tara Zadeh, Journalist

Every Tuesday evening, the Speech & Debate Team holds meetings for its members, and this Tuesday was the meeting that began the year. The Speech & Debate Team is one of CdM’s Many clubs, and it puts a strong emphasis on public speaking, education on prominent matters, and student confident in sharing their opinion. The team participates in three different debate organizations, including the Junior State of America (JSA), Model United Nations (MUN), and the National Speech and Debate League. The first event will be a JSA one-day conference in October.

The meeting began with general announcements and housekeeping. After, the group was divided into two separate parts, newcomers and returners. The newcomers were shown a presentation on the basics of speech and debate. They practiced speaking by standing in front of the other members and sharing a few things about themselves in a one-minute speech. This exercise was meant to alleviate some of the pressure that can come with public speaking, in terms of arguments and statistics, which are traditionally used in a formal debate. For many, the most difficult aspect of public speaking is fearing the reaction of audiences on the argument made, concerning the specific topic. However, here, students were able to speak on something that they are accustomed to.

After the speaking exercise, the students were introduced to the JSA style of debate. They were taught the various procedures and roles that comprise a debate. After, students practiced the debate, “Resolved, should public schools ban the use of personal devices on school campus?” The debate allowed various students to stand up and share their opinion. Although public speaking was completely new to many, they performed incredibly and expressed skills of an experienced speaker. Prospects for the team look very promising and a wonderful year is well ahead.