Sailing SoCal Regatta

Kennedy Leehealey

Kennedy Leehealey

Kennedy Leehealey, Journalist

The CdM Sailing Team attended their first regatta of the season at 11:00 AM on Saturday. High Schools from all around, including CdM’s rivals, Newport Harbor High School, gathered in the Newport Harbor to race Club Flying Junior (CFJ) sailboats. Before the race began, the high schools assembled at the Newport Harbor Yacht Club (NHYC) for check in and to review all the rules. Before heading out, the CdM performed their lucky cheer tradition and succeeded in intimidating all of the other teams. The regatta was divided up into six individual races for each of the two fleets. After four hours of sailing in the hot sun, CdM came out on top, scoring in the top five for both the fleets. CdM placed 1st and 3rd in the Gold Fleet and 3rd and 4th in the Silver Fleet.

During the award ceremony that took place shortly after, Tara Afshar commented, “I feel like we did really well for our first regatta of the season. I’ll admit I was pretty nervous going in because a lot of the upperclassmen and more experienced sailors on the team weren’t able to attend. But in the end, I think we held our own without them. I have high hopes for the year. We have a great group of people here, and even though it’s too early to tell how the season is going to play out, I’m very excited to see!”

Like Afshar, the rest of the team seemed ecstatic on their victory and ready to triumph in the remaining events. However, the CdM sailing team agrees that the sport is not all about winning. Most of the high schools in the US are not located on the coast, and therefore don’t have access to sailboats and facilities required to support a sailing team. As a result, the few sailing teams that do exist are able to form a close-knit community that is bonded by the shared interest and dedication to their sport.