Surf City Days

Back to Article
Back to Article

Surf City Days

Lauren von Aspen

Lauren von Aspen

Lauren von Aspen

Lauren von Aspen, Journalist

On September 15th and 16th, the streets of Huntington Beach were full of life and energy. The Huntington Beach Downtown Business Improvement District, a group that organizes many of the city’s events, put on an event called Surf City Days. Surf City Days is a celebration of the Huntington Beach lifestyle, as well as a celebration of the end of summer. The day couldn’t have been more perfect for a celebration of Huntington Beach life – it was warm, but not too hot, and not a single cloud was in sight.

Passerby could stop to watch a volleyball tournament, a skateboard or surf contest, or could even stop to try out a new board themselves as a part of the Surfline demo day. In addition, a coastal cleanup was happening that day, organized by Surfrider. On the way to the beach, many generous volunteers could be seen picking up trash from the beach and marsh areas. 

Several events not a part of Surf City Days could be seen as well, from street performers to a service dog training session to a small protest against gun violence, there was something going on everywhere you looked. 

The anti-gun violence protest on the 15th was organized by a local branch of March for Our Lives and Giffords, both organizations that advocate against gun violence and for more gun control legislation. There were speakers, including a woman speaking about the loss of her son to an accidental shooting. 

Additional events included in the Surf City Days celebration were live music, a Volkswagen van exhibition put on by the Kowabunga Van Klan, a non denominational “blessing of the waves” by various religious groups, and dory races. 

Overall, Surf City Days was an exciting and activity-filled weekend that perfectly encapsulated the spirit of Huntington Beach through music, surf, skate, activism, volleyball, and Volkswagen vans.