13 Reasons, Why?

Tasha Karam and Ayden Bird

This article contains spoilers for the first two seasons of 13 Reasons Why, as well as discussion of serious issues including suicide and violence.

In the second season of 13 Reasons Why, the controversial adaptation of Jay Asher’s 2007 novel takes a turn for surrealism while still trying to communicate a meaningful message.
While the first season focused on unraveling the reasons behind the sudden suicide of Hannah Baker through the 13 cassette tapes she left behind, the second season took a more graphic and darker path. Following the tragic loss, the town is set to hold a trial pitting the school district against Hannah Baker’s family. Students and teachers were called to trial to speak their truth on the high school climate and what factors lead to the decision. Through their statements, the story delves deeper into what Baker felt and what happened beyond the story she told through her tapes.
The season addresses many issues in modern society including mental health, drug abuse, bullying, and gun violence. By shedding light on these sensitive topics the show created the stigma of a broken high school community and heartbreaking process of healing, especially after the tragedy of Hannah Baker’s death.
By addressing sensitive topics throughout the season it gave many viewers insight to what happens at schools or to people often viewed as “normal.” An anonymous student at CdM stated,”I did think there were some scenes that I found especially hard to watch but it’s reality, here in Newport we do not realize what happens beyond our bubble and I think it is important to be aware of what goes on in other schools.”
The show may have enlightened many viewers with its content, however the show is not for everyone. While it discusses topics relevant to teenagers, such topics can be painful for students with experiences relating to them. From scenes of a boy shooting a gun to intense drug references, it is important to take caution while watching the show.
Watching the second season of 13 Reasons Why was ultimately a draining, unrewarding affair. 13 Reasons Why Season Two can only be recommended to a certain demographic of teens in a suitable mental state, but even then is hard to justify.