“BlacKkKlansmen” Movie Review

Photo courtesy of trailer addict

Photo courtesy of trailer addict

Photo courtesy of trailer addict

The Merriam Webster dictionary defines risk as to expose (someone or something valued) to danger, harm, or loss, but there was so much more at stake for police detective Ron Stallworth when he picked up his first case. Stallworth (played by John David Washington) was the first black police officer in Colorado Springs, Colorado, and the first to successfully infiltrate the Ku Klux Klan. The story takes place in the early 70’s; when civilians were open about their involvement in racist organizations. The story of Ron Stallworth and his partner in solving crime, which is now being made into a movie, is full of adventure, suspense, and action that will capture the attention of any audience.

Of course Stallworth, and African American, would not be able to successfully gain the trust of the KKK. As an answer to this problem, he enlists the help of his white coworker Flip Zimmerman (played by Adam Driver), to play as Flip Zimmerman when he meets with the KKK face to face. Stallworth continues to do most of the investigation over the phone, but with the help of Zimmerman he is able to pose as a white man interested in becoming a leader of the KKK. With someone on the inside, the police force is able to stay two steps ahead of the KKK, and plan accordingly to what they are doing.

Stallworth faces many difficulties throughout the film because of his race. Racism within the police force was prevalent at the time that he joined, and Stallworth had to jump through ridiculous hoops because of it. He was forced to answer much more detailed questions, to the point that it was almost humiliating, when he was joining the force. After he made it in, he was forced to work in filing, and his boss refused to give him any real cases. Stallworth, being a resourceful and intelligent young man, jumps at the idea of being able to go undercover. Throughout the movie he combats racism on two fronts.

The movie has generated buzz from critics all around the world. The Black Lives Matter movement has claimed it is both “empowering” and “revolutionary”, while critics claim that it is “grossly over exaggerated”. Washington, who plays Stallworth, is one of the biggest spokesmen for the movie. “The most outrageous part [about the film] is that it’s factual,” Washington said. “[E]verything in it, you’ll see, how extreme and eye-opening and surprising the events that happened are, but what tops it off [for] me, what makes it all come together, is that this really happened. This is American history.” (Quote via POPSUGAR).