Teacher Feature: Erin Topping

Brooklyn Hollander, Journalist

Q: What did you struggle with in highschool? Subject? Social?
A: I did not struggle socially anymore than any nerd who loves books and art and music does. I was lucky. I found my people. I was a choir nerd and a drama geek. I had a great time that way. I struggled in subjects that involved math of any kind. Somehow I ended up in a math based physics class. That idea because I didn’t go past Algebra II and there was Trigonometry in it. But I enjoyed high school for the most part. After all I never left, did I.

Q: What are things you miss from high school?
A: That’s a strange question because I’m still in highschool. I don’t miss much. I get to have the same wacky, zany conversations with really smart people about things that I like.

Q: Were there teachers you were close to in high school?
A: Yes. I was close to my music teacher, my choir teacher, my drama teacher, and my junior english teacher. That would be, in order, Mr. Yowl, Mr. Egertston, and Mrs. Dunsten. I remember their names because they had such an impact on my life. I think it’s cool if you can develop a relationship with a teacher. I know that doesn’t always happen, but I always feel pretty privileged if kids trust me enough to confide in me or talk to me or ask my opinion about stuff.

Q: Who did you go to for advice as a child?
A:I went to books more often than not and sometimes my friend’s moms.

Q:What are your hobbies that students might not know about?
A: A lot of people looking around my room know I read like a mad thing and that I like Doctor Who and Harry Potter and all sorts of eclectic nerd things. But many people do not know that I color to destress myself. Then I take those coloring pages and I turn them into greeting cards and art cards.

Q: Did you always know you would become a teacher when you were younger?
A: I come from a teaching family, so I’m not surprised. I tried doing other things than teaching and they turned out to be bad ideas that killed my soul. I get to work every day with smart collegues, smart kids, who are fun and interesting and inspiring. I’m really glad that I teach high school because I don’t think that I could do anything else that makes me feel as good as I do at the end of the day.

Q: If you could go back in time and give you high school self advice, what would you say?
A: Stop worrying what other people think. Be more concerned about the kind of person you want to be when you are older. You are worth it. You are enough just as you are.

Q: Who was your biggest inspiration in high school? How did they shape the person you are today?
A: I think my biggest inspiration was a combination of my favorite teachers. My drama teacher taught me to be myself while being other people, my music teacher taught me to trust my voice, and my english teacher and speech and debate teacher taught me that things I had to say were worth listening to.

Q: If you a high schooler now, how would you handle stress?
A: I don’t know if I could handle the kind of stress that is high school now. But if I had to I’d do some of the same things I do now. I find people who support me and I hang around with them. I spend time outside, enjoying nature. I read a lot of books, I do crosswords, I make art, and I try to be supportive of other people who need me.

Q:What in your life besides school has taught you valuable life lessons?
A: Life. Like living it. Having to deal with real people and having to solve real problems with nobody’s help. Yeah I think life is the greatest teacher there is.