Alzheimer’s Awareness Month

Zoe Derails, Journalist

Many of us do not realize how Alzheimer’s Disease can affect one’s mind, life and family, but now that it is November, it is a great time to become educated on the fact and promote healthy lifestyles by giving thanks to loved ones.
     As a granddaughter of a man with Dementia and a touch of Alzheimer’s disease, it is strongly felt that this month everyone needs to take a look around and be thankful for their families.
     Alzheimer’s is a disease that is common in elderly people, but middle aged people can develop it as well. It causes memory loss, and the level of that depends on the severity of the disease. Severity can range from anywhere in between very slight to extreme. This disease can last for years and can even be life long, because there is unfortunately no cure.
       In my family, my grandmother tries hard to accommodate to my grandpa’s disease, the whole family is supportive. A supportive environment is much better for the mind and also promotes a chance of better brain function.
    It is lucky that there are certain treatments that work for some people, such as certain exercises and cognition-enhancing medications which can improve one’s brain function. Simple activities like drawing and writing are great ways to stimulate the mind of a person with Alzheimer’s, because they cause them to think more precisely and remember certain patterns.
    The disease is different for everyone who has it, but a common version is when the individual begins to forget the past. For example, if they are shown photos from when they were younger, they might begin to forget where they were taken. More severe cases consist of one not remembering the photo at all. Extreme cases cause patients to forget their own family members.
    There is no definite action that can be done to stop this disease from affecting many, except promoting prevention and a healthy lifestyle.
    For the month of November, take time to give thanks and love to your family and friends, because not everyone has the opportunity to do so. Hopefully there will be a cure for Alzheimer’s in the future, but until then, it will be fought against with poise, grace and strength.