A Fantastic Start to the New Year

Courtesy of Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP

Courtesy of Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP

Audrey Tumbarello, Journalist

We are already off to a great start! On Sunday January 8th, 2016 Jimmy Fallon hosted

the annual Golden Globe Awards at the Beverly Hills Hotel. The whole point of the Golden Globes is to acknowledge the excellence in both film and television. This is a year for the 74th Golden Globe Awards there were 24 awards handed out for both film and television.

Each year the nominees dress up and try to look their best as they walk onto the red carpet. This years trend was to have a deep neckline, and lots of sparkle and bling. This year the best dressed nominees went to Kristen Bell, Priyanka Chopra, Amy Adams, and many more. Not only girls have a best dressed, but the men do also. This year a couple of guys that stood out from the rest were Ryan Reynolds, Donald Glover, and John Legend.

Each time someone wins a Golden Globe Award they normally go up to the front of the stage and say an acceptance speech, but a few went above and beyond. For example Tracee Ellis Ross did not just say thank you for the people that got me to this point. In her speech she mainly focused on talking about women of color and colorful people. To go along with Tracee, another powerful speaker was Ryan Gosling. He thanked everyone, but mainly focused on thanking his wife and for his putting up with so much will he was gone. In the last part of his speech he dedicated it to his wife’s brother, Juan Carlos Mendez, who lost his life earlier in the year to cancer.

At the Golden Globes some many awards were handed out, but some that really stood out were Best Motion Picture musical or comedy that went to La La Land, the Cecil B. DeMille Award went to Meryl Streep, and the Best Animated Motion Picture went to Zootopia.

Overall, the 2017 Golden Globe Awards was another hit with many laughs and smiles. Each year the Golden Globes get more intense and now we have to wait till 2018 who’s movie will receive an award.