• October 11BOTB Boys Water Polo 10/13 at 5:30pm at NHHS

• October 6Homecoming Tickets on Sale Now!

Youtube: The Next TV

More stories from Miranda Chang

It’s the 21st century, and technology has taken an incredible leap forward. With the development of computers, phones, and the Internet, it seems as if the world has already thrown away its typewriters and rotary telephones. Netflix and Hulu are slowly overthrowing the TV as the new destination to watch primetime television series. One new advancement that is used virtually by everyone every second is a video-sharing platform – YouTube.

In CdM, it is common for teachers to pull up videos to explain concepts visually, science being the class that uses YouTube the most. “Mr. Freeman uses YouTube to show us video on what we are learning in class. Recently, he showed us a video on waves and currents,” said freshman Brenna Roberts. Leadership groups and the Trident staff frequently post on YouTube to spread their message across or if students want another look at the clip again.

Outside of school, YouTube is a common platform for people of all ages to entertain themselves. There are many different types of videos such as gaming, educational, beauty, DIYs, vlogs, parodies, skits, and music. “I like gaming because of the hilarious commentary and vlogs,” said freshman Katie Gilliam.

In an anonymous select-all-that-apply survey, 64% students said that music videos were one of their favorite videos to watch. 43% students also have pleasure in watching vlogs, or video blogging. In another select-all-that-apply survey, 47% survey takers like Roman Atwood, a YouTuber that pranks the public, and 38% watch BuzzFeed, a company that uploads tid-bits of information and skits. Some other channels to check out include the Fine Brothers, Grace Helbig, PewDiePie, amazingphil, and danisnotonfire.

A year ago, YouTube released a new service called YouTube Red. This subscription service allows users to watch videos without commercials and offline. In addition to that, YouTube will produce original content from its most subscribed channels, such as PewDiePie and IISuperwomanII. YouTube has officially joined the lineup of streamed services.

Thirty-years ago, we were in a world without smartphones or laptops. Now, we live in the age of innovation that is still constantly evolving. Soon, everything old-fashioned will become extinct. With the addition of YouTube Red and having the ability to access content anywhere, YouTube may be our future.

“I see YouTube as a larger entertainment platform, hosting a wide variety of videos and content that’s hard to find anywhere else. I feel like it might take the place of a cable TV for some people, since you can find almost anything on there, without paying and painfully long commercials,” said a survey taker.

Decades from now, who knows what our world will become? We will just have to wait and see.