Mary Poppins Returns

Tara Zadeh, Journalist

Mary Poppins, the beloved classic that has a presence in the childhoods of many, has returned to the big screen, allowing fans to once again reminiscent in the sheer wonder of such a magical film. Mary Poppins Returns is a continuation of the original 1964 film, produced by Walt Disney and based on P.L. Traver’s book series. Mary Poppins received a total of 13 Academy Awards nomination and consequently, won five recognitions. Mary Poppins is considered Walt Disney’s greatest live-action achievement. However, gaining the rights to the cherished children’s book series was not a simple task to achieve. P.L. Travers was not supportive of the idea to simply give away the story that has so much importance[ to her and watch it be made into something she did not intend. After much persuasion and compromise, Travers allowed her the pages of her magical story to be transformed for the screen. The film, Saving Mr. Banks, which was released in 2013 describes the story of requesting and gaining the rights to Mary Poppins, as well as explaining the connection that Travers has to her story.

The sequel, Mary Poppins Returns, was released in December of 2018, and it has created the longest gap between movie sequels in history. The sequel remained quite true to the first film, as it followed the hardships of Michael and Jane, who were the once young and rambunctious children that Mary Poppins cared for in the first film. Now, both children are grown up, and Michael, who now has three young children of his own, is struggling to keep the house both Jane and Michael grew up in. At the heart of conflict, Mary Poppins floats out of the sky, wit a parrot-handle umbrella in-hand across the cloudy, dull sky of a London afternoon. However, taking on the role of Mary Poppins is Emily Blunt. Emily Blunt brings justice to the role, that Julie Andrews mastered so many years before. With the cinematic effects present, the film was transformed into a wonderland, but the story still kept true to its original plot and aesthetic. Mary Poppins Returns is a film that will remain prominent, just as the original has.