Edison MUN

Back to Article
Back to Article

Edison MUN

Tara Zadeh, Journalist

On January 12, the CdM Speech and Debate team attended a Model United Nations conference at Edison High School. Every year, Edison High School holds two MUN events for other schools in the area to attend, and every year, the speech and debate team participates. In each MUN conference, students represent delegates of various countries in the United Nations. Each student then writes a paper on the country they are representing. This paper highlights and summarizes country policies and past country actions, in accordance with a pressing international topic. Topics vary, depending on which committee the delegate is apart of, as the UN is comprised of various committees. Some committees focus on economics and trade, while other committees focus on human rights.

Each MUN conference is comprised of main speaking time and caucuses. Main speaking time allows delegates to present a prepared speech, highlighting their countries policies on the issue at hand. There are two different types of caucuses: moderated caucus and unmoderated caucus. A moderated caucus is led by the chair or the individual who oversees the committee, and each moderated caucus is comprised of set times, which are chosen by the delegate who proposed the caucus. An unmoderated caucus does not have a set speaker time, and in this type of caucus, delegates are permitted to leave their seat, in order to introduce themselves and speak with other delegates. The primary use of unmoderated caucuses is to formulate resolution groups and resolutions. Resolutions are the purpose of MUN, for they are delegate-made documents that suggest and provide reasoning for the issue that drives the conversation and idea sharing in a MUN conference. After all the resolutions are completed they are shared among all the delegates, and after the presentation, a vote is taken, deciding if the resolution passed or failed.