RA Yoga

Back to Article
Back to Article

RA Yoga

Photo Courtesy of Ra Yoga

Photo Courtesy of Ra Yoga

Photo Courtesy of Ra Yoga

Photo Courtesy of Ra Yoga

Kennedy Leehealey, Journalist

Everyone has a different way to cope with stress, whether it be by talking to a friend, expressing emotion through various art forms, etc… One of the more common methods of calming the mind is yoga. Yoga is a form of spiritual and ascetic discipline that includes exercises such as breath control, meditation, and body postures designed to aid balance and relaxation. The earliest form of yoga was first introduced over 5,000 years ago. The meditation form was developed in Northern India by the Indus-Sarasvati civilization. However, it did not gain much popularity until the beginning of the twenty-first century. Eventually, yoga studios began popping up everywhere, especially in California.

One particularly popular studio chain in Southern California is RA Yoga. This studio has locations all over Newport Beach, Costa Mesa, Irvine, and Long Beach. What makes this studio especially charming is the mission statement, “Creativity. Authenticity. Community.” The unique theme of the studio is Ra, as in the sun god from Egyptian mythology. Ra is the patron of the sun, warmth, growth, creative power, and light.

As of recently, the Corona del Mar sports teams have gotten involved with this particular studio. The CdM girls volleyball team goes together for workout sessions pretty often. In addition, the CdM sailing team has begun taking yoga/pilates classes once a week at RA Yoga. One of the CdM sailing coaches, Adrienne Patterson, informed, “We have only taken a few classes so far, but we are absolutely loving it. Not only is it good for the kids to get some core and leg exercise in, but it’s also an excellent bonding experience for the team. Basically, it is a fun time all around, and I would 100% recommend this for anyone interested.”

In addition to being good for team bonding, researchers at the University of Maryland School of Nursing conducted 81 studies about the physical benefits of yoga and found that is can improve balance, flexibility, strength, pain levels, energy levels, social functioning, and other health parameters. So, for anyone that finds themselves feeling stressed, give yoga a try!