Stricklands Ice Cream

Back to Article
Back to Article

Stricklands Ice Cream

Sophia Pearce, Journalist

Stricklands, located on Campus Drive, Irvine, is a well-loved, local ice cream shop. Unfortunately, this beloved ice cream shop closed on December 30th, 2018. Stricklands closed because the Irvine Company decided not to renew their lease for the upcoming year.
The owners of Stricklands, Randy and Donna Nettles, told OC Weekly, “Yes it’s true, we are sad to report that we will be closing in January. Our landlord called a meeting with us to inform us that they will not be renewing our lease in early February, and that they were taking the center in a different direction. Another ice cream establishment, Saffron & Rose, will be moving into the space. We are currently exploring our options regarding relocation, etc.”
Stricklands makes their ice cream fresh everyday in store. Their menu consists of the usual, vanilla and chocolate, their flavors of the day, milkshakes, sundaes, twisters, and many others. Stricklands is a local favorite and was awarded the title of Best Ice Cream countless times, including OC Weekly’s award for Best Ice Cream and many others.
Stricklands ice cream’s customers are upset at the Irvine Company due to the closing of the ice cream shop. One person has started a petition, on change.org, to save Stricklands, where over a couple thousand people have signed it. Others have expressed their opinion online. One person on Reddit states, “So they are basically kicking out one very popular and profitable ice cream shop that has been a staple of the Irvine and UCI Community for years, that has consistently won awards for best ice cream, that participates in the community and gives back to the community, all to put in a different ice cream shop.”
The local favorite will be missed by many loyal customers who have been coming to this shop for years.