Teresa May is Confident That the UK Can Make Progress if MPs Support the Brexit Deal

Back to Article
Back to Article

Sierra Hurson, Journalist

Prime Minister Teresa May conveyed in her new year message that 2019 would bring the UK a new chapter outside of the EU. Brexit has been a point of contention in the UK when legislation was pushed forth to withdraw the country’s membership in the European Union. If Members of Parliament (MPs) approve the terms of exit later this month, Parliament can begin concentrating on other issues facing the country such as health and housing problems.

The Labour party has voiced opposition to Brexit calling it a “complete mess”, due to divisions in the Conservative party over the matter. The exit date for the UK from the EU is scheduled for March 29th. However, it is still uncertain whether the MPs will comply with the withdrawal agreement and the framework of the legislation. Another vote is scheduled in the House of Commons in mid-January on the proposals reached with the EU. May is confident that the strong support of her Brexit deal from the British people will be enough to convince Parliament to back the deal and begin a new chapter. May intends to enter 2019 with the UK having a “strong new relationship with our European neighbors and out into the world as a globally trading nation.” She believes that a well-coordinated exit will allow the UK to focus on other problems the country is facing, including housing shortages, improvements in technical education, and ensuring extra spending going into the National Health Service to guarantee health service for British citizens.