The Grinch

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Grinch

Emma Joyce, Journalist

On November 10, 2018, the new “Grinch” movie was released by Universal Studios in the United States. The movie takes a modern twist on the well known children’s story, told by Dr. Seuss.  The original story, written in rhymed verses, follows the life of a grouchy and angry character called the Grinch. He lives in solitude with his dog, while absolutely despising the town’s enormous amount of Christmas spirit. Plotting to ruin Christmas for everyone, the Grinch and his dog visit each home to steal everything on the night of Christmas eve, while the people are asleep. The town people awaken to see their trees, lights, presents, and all decorations stolen. Instead of showing pain or sorrow, the Grinch sees them unite, and sing.  The Grinch’s shrunken heart grows three sizes, and he returns to the town to give back the Whos’ Christmas.

The heart-warming story has been told for almost 53 since first written by Dr. Seuss. Several versions of the story have been created in movies, including the original Boris Karloff version, and the unpopular Ron Howard special, starring Jim Carrey. The new version gives a new, slightly more optimistic and kind version of the Grinch, played by the English actor Benedict Cumberbatch. The most common review has been that the new Grinch is kinder compared to the traditional role. However, it makes a happy alternative for younger viewers, with many more comedic scenes.

Another modern twist on the new movie was the soundtrack. Tyler the Creator, a young and very popular rapper, features his new songs and puts his own spin on the traditional “You’re a Mean One, Mr. Grinch”. He also included is own song “I Am the Grinch”, written by himself and featured on his new Christmas album.

Overall, the new grinch movie perfectly conveys the message that Christmas is not about the presents and candy canes, but about family, kindness, and being together.