A New Act at Jingle Ball: Monsta X

Back to Article
Back to Article

A New Act at Jingle Ball: Monsta X

Thuy Pham, Journalist

Each year during the holiday season, radio stations across the United States host Jingle Ball, a concert that hosts various American pop artists. However, this year’s lineup was a first and “never-before-seen.” Monsta X, a South Korean Pop act, created by Starship Entertainment, was the first ever Korean Pop act to perform on a Jingle Ball tour in the United States.

Monsta X was formed from a survival show, titled NO.MERCY, which was launched in December of 2014 until May 2015. Though there were initially twelve trainees on the show, the group debuted with seven members. The group consists of members Shownu, Wonho, Minhyuk, Kihyun, Hyungwon, Jooheon, and I.M. The survival show was broadcasted by MNet, a Korean pop broadcasting platform in South Korea, in collaboration with Starship Entertainment, one of South Korea’s numerous entertainment companies. The entertainment company is also host to other big-name K-pop artists including K.Will and previously SISTAR.

Amongst the numerous names in the American pop industry to perform on the Jingle Ball across the United States, Monsta X was the first Korean name to ever join a Jingle Ball lineup. The group helped kick off the Jingle Ball tour in Los Angeles then to San Francisco, Minneapolis, Boston, Philadelphia, and concluded their Jingle Ball journey in New York. Fans across the nation flocked to major U.S. venues such as The Forum in Los Angeles and even Madison Square Garden in New York.

Rapper and youngest member of the group, I.M, told the Hollywood Reporter, “Seriously, we really didn’t expect this phenomenon. Lots of K-pop singers have found success in the U.S. recently, and we are inside that movement. It really feels great.” when asked about how he and the group have felt recently as a result of this popularity boom.

Since performing on this tour, Monsta X has garnered massive popularity in the United States, both from their fans, who are called Monbebes, and from other Jingle Ball attendees. As the first South Korean boy group to perform on the tour, since PSY and BoA, the group’s popularity has increasingly peaked in the United States. This year’s summer world tour, called ‘The Connect’ gave them an increased following from both Corona del Mar High School students and Americans across the nation. From here, Monsta X can only continue to garner increasing amounts of support and love from people across the nation.