Museum of Modern Art

Lauren von Aspen, Journalist

With all of the museums there are in New York, it can be difficult to pick out which to visit. However, if you happen to find yourself in New York, I would highly recommend visiting the Museum of Modern Art in Manhattan.

The Museum of Modern art, also known as MoMa, has a world-class collection with almost 200,000 works of modern art. The collection includes art from such famous artists as Salvador Dali, Frida Kahlo, and many, many more. There are currently eleven collections, including “Collection Galleries 1880s-1950s”, “The Long Run”, and “Bodys Isek Kingelez: City Dreams”. The Collection Galleries contains well-known works of art such as “Girl Before a Mirror” and “Three Musicians” by Pablo Picasso, “The Dream” by Henri Rosseau, “Girl with Bal” by Roy Lichtenstein, “The Persistence of Memory” by  Salvador Dali and, the crowning jewel of the whole collection, “Starry Night” by Vincent Van Gogh.

The beautiful sculpture garden outside of the museum includes work by Henry Matisse, Pablo Picasso, Franz West, and Ella Nadelman. In my opinion, one the most interesting exhibitions was the “City Dreams” exhibition. It contained work by Bodys Isek Kingelez, a sculptor and artist from the Democratic Republic of Congo, known for his models of utopian cities created from commonplace objects such as cardboard, paper, and tape. His fantastic models depicted a better, more peaceful society. The exhibit is accompanied by a virtual reality your of one of Kingelez’s cities.

The museum is one that can be visited for any amount of time that is interesting no matter how many times you visit. The exhibitions are consistently changed, so there is always something new to see. Overall, I would highly recommend visiting the Museum of Modern art in New York if you ever have a chance, as it has interesting exhibitions and thought-provoking works of art.