Chinese Painting Club

Back to Article
Back to Article

Chinese Painting Club

Natasha Karam and Emma Joyce

One of the oldest artistic traditions continued in the world, Chinese painting has been practiced and perfected since the Ming Dynasty in China. Chinese paintings are generally landscape paintings composed from water color. Originally from China, sisters Ziqi Zhang and Zilin Zhang started the Chinese painting club to share their love for the art with other CdM students.

The club meets about twice a month, along with meetings outside school, and work on projects that progress throughout the school year. Club members love the relaxing and laid back style of the club, spending their lunches creating artwork and enjoying snacks. They learn new topics while improving their skills on current art pieces. One club member stated, “I usually do not classify myself as an artistic person however this club has opened a new door for a type of art style that suits my ability. It is also super interesting to learn about the Chinese painting culture through the art we make.”

The Zhang’s are the club presidents and have provided their members with the supplies necessary for Chinese painting such as rice paper, black ink, felt, and traditional Chinese art brush sets. The club experiments with watercolor, oil painting, calligraphy, and sketching methods. Along with the artwork, Ziqi and Zilin believe the history of Chinese painting has equal importance to the art itself.  They provide powerpoints, visuals, and youtube videos to educate their club members about how painting has played a role in Chinese history, and how it has transformed into modern Chinese painting styles. Each meeting, the members build on their artistic skills as well as their general knowledge of Chinese painting as an art and as a tradition.

Ziqi Zhang says,”I started the club because Chinese painting is a beautiful kind of art and it is not hard to start. Plus I really enjoy doing it and wanted to share it with other people.”

The sisters continue to spread their love for the art they make and their home country. The clubs appreciation for the art and experience with the techniques they learn will continue to grow throughout the year.