Free Samples

Back to Article
Back to Article

Free Samples

Ivy Hollander, Journalist

A lot of stores in the food industry give out free samples to customers. This strategy lures the customers into the stores. This technique encourages people to buy the product or food because they have tried it. But still, there are many people who just want to get free food or things. At first, samples may look like a bad idea because it wastes the companies money. But, scientifically it helps their business sales and profit increase over time.

For example, someone could hypothetically walk into a market, try a bunch of things, and just leave. This is a big reason why some food companies do not offer samples. Though, some places have restrictions on the amount of samples a person can have. Trader Joes has a specific food option that they change everyday. This makes it so that someone cannot just choose which type of food they want to choose out of the entire store.

Most every ice cream shop gives out free samples to every customer. When it comes to ice cream, most everybody actually ends up buying something. Scientifically, when someone has a small taste of a food that they like, their craving for it naturally increases. For example, if someone smelt good food, they would want to find where it is coming from so they can purchase it. Costco gives out free samples throughout their entire store, but to get in people have to have purchased their own a costco card.

Though some people may get away with taking too many samples, a majority of companies have had their business grow because of it. Some people just do not want to spend money on something that they have never tried. If they try it and like it, then they can purchase the food or item and they do not have to throw it away, not eat it, or return it.