Tyler Spangler

photo courtesy of Tyelr Spangelr

Sammy Pierotti, Journalist

Tyler Spangler, a relatively young LA artist, has recently had his art featured in the Broad museum. This is a big development for the up and coming artist, because it will get his name out to other museums who will possibly carry his work in the future. His work mashes context and perception, and throws in just enough color to make the picture pop. In the digital age, it is easy to work with graphic design programs, and that’s what Spangler chooses to do with his artwork.

Spangler currently resides in Seattle, Washington, where he continues to make art. He says that he produces about two to three pieces a day, and so there is no piece in particular that he is attached to most. He was heavily influenced during his childhood by shows like The Simpsons and the surf videos that he watched, leading to the psychedelic side of his paintings. “I love the vibe of the 70, like the whole trippy psychedelic part of it” Spangler says in an interview with Forbes, “but I also love the 80’s and the grunge in the 90’s…. I just kind of blend together everything that I like.” Influences from earlier eras can surely be seen in Spangler’s work. The colors in Perpetual Glances mimic the aesthetic of the 70’s, while the background in It’s All a Part of the Process reminds the viewer of the carpet in an 80’s arcade. Spangler often distorts the human features until they are barely recognizable, like in My Home and Beside Myself, or singles out a facial feature to emphasize, like in Man In A Suit. His text works boldly proclaim statements that can be comforting (It’s All a Part of the Process), eerie (Every Day is Exactly the Same), or calling for action (MOVE).

Spangler means to send a message with his work, and he surely does. His art spurs feelings in the viewer that they sometimes aren’t able to pinpoint, but they’re feelings nonetheless. It is certain that Spangler will continue to produce art the makes the viewer think, and one can count of seeing more great pieces from him in the future.