Pecan Resist!

Sammy Pierotti, Journalist

Ben and Jerry’s is serving up a new, delicious form of pint sized protest this season. They’ve rebranded their pecan ice cream flavor to be called “Pecan Resist”, and are taking a stand for the minorities in the United States with this rebrand. The ice cream itself is chocolate flavored, with with white and dark fudge chunks, pecans, walnuts, and fudge covered almonds. This flavor is not new, although they have rethought the recipe, it is an improved version of it’s old self. This is said to be symbolic of how the United States should be run.

The ice cream is fair trade, non GMO, certified Cage Free, and certified with Caring Dairy. The message that Ben and Jerry’s hopes to send with the ice cream is that “[The United States] can peacefully resist the Trump administration’s regressive and discriminatory policies and build a future that values inclusivity, equality, and justice for people of color, women, the LGBTQ community, refugees, and immigrants.” (Ben and Jerry’s website). Proceeds from the ice cream go to funding four groups that support peaceful protest and are working to build a better tomorrow in the United States. These organizations are: Color Of Change (an organization that fights against discrimination of black people in America), Honor the Earth (an organization that deals with climate change environmental issues), Neta (a fast growing news platform that is run by POC living on the Texas-Mexico border), and Women’s March (a group committed to bringing together the women of the United States and fighting against oppression).

It is important for businesses with influence like Ben and Jerry’s to speak out about what they believe in. Although this movement is small, it gets the word out about these wonderful organizations and gives them funds to continue doing what they’re doing. During such strange times in the US, social protesters often find unlikely allies that bring the nation together more.