Black Friday

Audrey Tumbarello, Journalist

Black Friday is known as the first day to start the holiday shopping season. Many stores set prices low and have great bargains to attract customers to their store. It has gained so much popularity that stores today will even start there sales on Thanksgiving Day or the Wednesday before. It used to last for just one day, but again due to the competitiveness sales typically continue through the weekend and sometimes the next week after Thanksgiving.

Over the years going out of a house to shop has declined because of technology that has been invented and improved. Online shopping has allowed for stores to also apply deals to their website. It allows for stores to get more money, but without all of the people coming into the store. This is a pro because so many people do not want to go out of their house after Thanksgiving because they have to clean up from the night before and start decorating for Christmas. Also, Americans love to sleep in on that Friday because most people get off work and kids do not have school.

This year Black Friday is on Friday, November 23rd. Walmart like always is going to have amazing deals. Walmart is so competitive people in the past have been run over and hurt just so they could get the item they wanted before they sold out. Black Friday is known for sales on big items like XBox’s, Televisions, Computers, and Phones. Although people go to shop for gigantic items that would typically cost hundreds more, many others including myself shop for clothes and other smaller items.

About 115 million people participate Black Friday each year according to CBSNews.com. The five days for Black Friday to Cyber Monday get about 64 percent of Americans involved, or 164 million people according to CBSNews.com. Big cities like New York and Los Angeles are extremely popular cities to shop and they attract multiple customers each year. Black Friday is a popular thing for many Americans as it is the start of the Christmas shopping season.