Battle of the Bay Football

Back to Article
Back to Article

Battle of the Bay Football

Tasha Karam and Emma Joyce

On Friday, the boys CdM boys football team took the win against our major rival, Newport Harbor.  They won 62-14 over Newport, continuing their winning streak and defeating them for their sixth year in a row.

Leading up to the ‘game of the year,’ CdM’s ASB covered the walls of  CdM’s campus with collages of blue and white posters to enhance the spirit for the game to come. Along with the hours put into poster making, a rally was held on Friday at school before the game. During the rally, ASB’s Tristan Neal, Sophia Newton, and Jonny Lujan lead the rally with performances from Orchesis, Cheer and Song, Sparkle, and drumline.

Among the stands, spirited parents, friends, and students filled up the sold out stadium long before the game started, and the entire audience of CdM supporters were lively and cheerful. ASB students had a dj stand, smoke blowers, and pom poms that pumped up the students and made the game all more exciting. They led the impressively large student section in passionate chants and cheers.

During the game, junior, Mark Redman, scored two touchdowns and senior, Ethan Garbers set a record for throwing seven touchdowns throughout the game. For the two, it was not their first Battle of the Bay, however it was sophomore, Ryder Haupt’s first game.

Haupt stated, “I love getting to play against kids that I know and have grown up with. It brings us all together even though we go to different schools. It was cool to get to lineup against kids I knew during Battle of the Bay, especially because we won.

Halftime began with Newport Harbors dance teams and orchestra, followed by CdM’s Orchesis team.  They had a long and impressive routine that showed off their skills. After that, Cheer and Song had an equally talented performance that wowed the audience.

Sophomore Sam Weaver talks about the game and says, “The game tonight was really fun because the student section was full of energy. They got everyone really hyped up, and we definitely played better because of it. It’s always fun to beat Harbor, especially with so many people watching.”

As the game was brought to an end, the sea of blue cheered on its team for bringing back another win for CdM. This years spirit and CdM pride topped any other year helping the boys with their amazing 62-14 win.