Human Relations Council

Tara Zadeh, Journalist

The Human Relations Council (HRC) is a leadership group at CdM of about 30 students, that focuses on global social issues and their presence on campus. HRC has was established at CdM in 2000, and each year it has four week-long campaigns. This year, those campaigns will take place throughout the year, and each one will have a distinct message. One of HRC’s most well-known campaigns is Be Kind to Your Mind. Be Kind to Your Mind is a week that highlights the wide-scale issue of mental health in high school. The campaign emphasizes wellness in a time that can often be difficult for many students. HRC also focuses on world issues, and ties them to school life. HRC brings prominence to things that can often be overlooked in society.

In the beginning of October, HRC held its annual retreat. During the retreat, each campaign is planned and organized. The elements that go into a campaign include videos, posters, decorations, and events. In the past, HRC has done a paper shredding event, in which students could write down a stereotype that they would like to see reduced. They then were able to put the stereotype into a paper shredder, in order to “shred” the stereotype. Another activity held by HRC was the balloon release. Students were able to write down something they wanted to let go of on a balloon, and the biodegradable balloons were then released.

HRC also organizes Happy Grams. Happy Grams are individualized letters that are made for each student on campus. Happy Grams are HRC’s way of letting students know they are appreciated in a simple, but impactful way. Happy Grams are distributed during the first few months of the year.

HRC brings prevalence to issues that are sometimes overlooked on campus, and it gives support to students who may feel that they are facing something alone.