Battle of the Bay: Volleyball Edition

Back to Article
Back to Article

Battle of the Bay: Volleyball Edition

Ivy Hollander

Ivy Hollander

Ivy Hollander

Ivy Hollander and Sophia Pearce

On Thursday, October 11, the Corona del Mar girls volleyball teams competed against Newport Harbor High School’s varsity volleyball team. The game was at Corona del Mar High School in the big gym. The teams played diligent, aggressive games.

Among the bleachers, there were a ton of fans cheering and rooting on the CdM team. Everyone in the crowd wore their blue kings krew shirts. Each time after CdM scored, the crowd went wild. Freshman, Angelina Jia, went to watch the varsity team play. “It was very exciting to see some of the players compete so aggressively. It was so amusing to watch the CdM team beat Newport Harbor High School’s team. I am really glad I got to witness a great win.” The teammates congratulated each other each time they scored a point. They huddled up and gave each other high fives to encourage them even if they lost the point. Some of the people in the crowd had signs and giant pictures of the players’ faces on them. The CdM fans were very energetic when rooting on all of the teams.

The Frosh/Soph volleyball team unfortunately lost their Battle of the Bay game. The game began at 4:00 in the afternoon. In the first set, they scored 11-25. In the second set, they barely lost to Newport Harbor’s Frosh/Soph team with a score of 23-25. Though the frosh soph team didn’t win, it was still a very close game.

The Junior Varsity team had a great victory. There are two freshman on the JV Team, Olivia Young and Mia Kelly.They started their game at 5:15, soon after the Frosh/Soph game ended. They won the game scoring 25-11 in the first set and 25-15 in the second set.

The girls varsity volleyball team’s status is currently and remains to be undefeated. They played a total of three very successful sets. They stayed victorious throughout all three sets, crushing their opponent. In the first set, they scored 25-6 by abolishing the other team. In the second set, they scored 25-15. Kendall Kipp, who was Orange County’s athlete of the week of 10/08, made an excellent spike to score CdM the point. Finally, in the third set, they scored 25-19. This resulted in a big win for the Battle of the Bay win.

All of the CdM Girls Volleyball teams did an amazing job competing in their games. With the crowd cheering them on, there was positivity in the air. The Girls Varsity team continues to be undefeated. The compelling varsity game lasted for about 45 minutes, ending with another victory for the CdM girls varsity volleyball team.