Clovis Invitational

Zoe Deralas, Journalist

This past weekend, Corona Del Mars’ varsity Cross Country team travelled up to Woodward Park in Clovis and competed in the annual 5K. The runners worked hard to prepare and complete this race. They practice after school and do workouts that will help them continue to get closer to reaching their goals.

On Friday morning at 7:00am, the van left CdM and began the drive to Clovis, and the team arrived around 1:15pm. The team got to warm up on the trail of the race the day before, which is a wonderful opportunity for one to realize how they should pace themselves during the race.

The team, coaches, and some parents went on the trip and had a wonderful time. The trip consisted of team bonding, going out to eat, racing and more. It was a first time for some of the runners at Clovis, and a last time for others. Overall, it was a great experience and everything came into play very well.

There were hundreds of schools from all around California competing at this event, and the runners were divided up into many groups that had to run in races that took place at different times of the day. The course had quite a bit of hills, and was primarily dirt and gravel with a small portion of the run being grass. The weather was not too bad on the day of the race, but it was rather warm for the runners. Woodward Park has a nice scenery and depicts a true cross country run as well.

As for the results, the team did very well, the boys placed 9th out of everyone, while the girls placed 13th. Some members of the team achieved a personal record at this race. The course was 3.1 miles long and the exact time that the runners got per mile is recorded online as well. This link shows all the times of everyone that ran at the meet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BlCzBikskT_e8URDbKvEQWarnDclSbm5bvPkgrFzKTs/htmlview