Girls’ Volleyball Dig Pink

Lauren von Aspen

Lauren von Aspen

Lauren von Aspen, Journalist

On October 2, the both the girls’ junior varsity and varsity volleyball teams won in their games against Edison. The game was a “dig pink” game.

The night started at 4:30 with the FS/JV teams playing. The game ended with an exciting win for the Corona del Mar team. 

After introducing the players from both the Corona del Mar and Edison teams, the varsity game started. The first set, which was mostly tied until the end, was won by Corona del Mar by a score of 25-20. Corona del Mar also won the second set 25-22 and won the third set 25-13. It was an exciting and well-deserved win by the Corona del Mar girls’ volleyball team. 

The student section was strong at the game, with the majority of the crowd sporting their pink Kings Krew shirts. The pink and blue Kings Krew shirts can be bought together at the ASB store for $15. Pink pom poms were also passed out for spectators. The purpose of the event being “dig pink” was to support Breast Cancer Solutions at Orange County. There was a bake sale at the event, and all the money made from the sale went to Breast Cancer Solutions. 

Breast Cancer Solutions, founded in 1998, was made to ease the financial burdens created by breast cancer treatments. They partner with stores and host events in order to help give money to those who need it most. Some upcoming events include the Celebrate Solutions 20th Anniversary Fundraiser and the 2018 Inland Empire Race for the Cure. 

The girls’ volleyball team’s impressive win kept their league winning streak going,  leaving them undefeated in the new Sunset League. They previously defeated Los Alamitos and Huntington Beach, and later this month will play Los Alamitos and Newport Harbor, as well as having the first few rounds of the CIF competition.  The varsity team has a total winning record of 21-11. 

The next girls’ volleyball game will be held Thursday, October 4 at CdM against Huntington Beach. It is also the Senior Tribute Night. FS / JV will play at 4:30 and varsity will play at 5:30.