NCDM Kicks Off Their 2018-2019 Youth and Government Year

Sierra Hurson, Journalist

Monday night was an exciting night for CdM’s Youth and Government delegation. The Newport-Corona del Mar Delegation (NCDM) held their annual info meeting in the big gym and it is safe to say it was a huge success. Being one of the largest clubs on campus, Youth and Government usually attracts many students interested in being a part of it. This year, the stands in the big gym were packed with about 200 students eager and excited to see what Youth and Government was all about. The info meeting was led by NCDM’s board, color group leaders, and the club’s two lead advisors­– Kim Rapp and Brandon Fischer.

The meeting consisted of a board and color group leader introduction, followed by a presentation given by board members Izzy Holton (senior), Jack McKenna (junior), and Rachel Haft (junior). After the presentation, NCDM’s President Connery O’Neal (senior) led a session of testimonies using parliamentary procedure. The testimonies were given by returners Macie Budde (sophomore), Solomon Sonenshine (senior), and Ava Duncan (junior). Each of their speeches brought to life multiple aspects of life in Youth and Government and assured the attendees that joining Youth and Government would be a decision they wouldn’t regret.

The returners, board, color group leaders, and advisors were thrilled about how the evening went. NCDM’s Vice President Bridgid Kennelly (senior) shared her excitement, “I’m excited to see all the new people grow to love the program and blossom by experiencing Youth and Government for the first time.” Junior Rachel Haft shared the same excitement as she reflected on her own experience in Youth and Government, “Trying out for Youth and Government is the best decision I have ever made. I have made some of the best friends with people I wouldn’t have met outside of Youth and Government. There is no other program like it. It’s my second home and my second family.”

NCDM’s tryout process begins Wednesday, September 12th. It consists of two nights of icebreakers, team building, debating, and a lot of “We Got Spirit” cheers. O’Neal saw the evening as a success and a step in a good direction for the delegation, “The info meeting is always a fantastic way to kick off the Youth and Government year because I love seeing all the new faces. The excitement and energy that we had at the info meeting just makes me really happy to be a part of the program. We had a huge turnout this year which makes me super optimistic for this upcoming year and I can’t wait to see what comes of it!”

Good luck to all the returning delegates and soon to be delegates on all of your endeavors this year. The Trident staff and the rest of CdM are cheering you on!