Small Actions for a Bigger Impact

CdM's PAL hosts Friendship Week

Tasha Karam, Journalist

School can often be an environment where students feel alone or disconnected from the rest of society. Although, school can also be a place where student’s get to join together with friends and bond. CdM’s PAL (Peer Assistance Leadership) hosted Friendship Week at CdM to celebrate old frienships and welcome new ones. Friendship Week was celebrated May 14-18th and each day of the week had a “goal” to accomplish that day to reinforce the importance of friendship.
The week consisted of High Five Day, Hug Day, Compliment Day, Make a New Friend Day, and Twin Day. By taking simple actions that are often overlooked, PAL advocated the power of words and actions in bettering CdM’s environment. An anonymous source stated,” I had recieved a couple of compliments and even a few high fives this week, I know it may seem silly, but it made me feel valued and noticed by my peers. I think the week had a very positive impact on CdM and showed how each student should be valued and deserves a frienship.”
The week was to not only promote frienships, but make sure each student knows they are loved and valued. Feeling outcasted or alone at school can make many students view school as a daily burden or battle and through Friendship Week PAL shedded light on the positive environment CdM holds. Freshman and PAL member, Anna Neiger, stated,” Participating in Frienship Week has made me aware of the real impact friends have in our lives. Not only our old friends, but new friendships that are becoming before our eyes!”
Finding friends may seem difficult in a place where students walk by dozens of poeple each day and never get the chance to know most of them. Although, Frienship Week gave students the opportunity to find friends and and peers they share interests with. An anonymous student sated,” I made a friend this week and we sit at lunch together now. It is nice to know that just by my school taking the action to create Frienship Week, I made a new friend.”
All in all, Frienship Week was a success for bettering the environment of CdM and reinforcing the power of frienships and the influence they can make on a students highschool expirience. Whether it’s just a high five or compliment, the smallest actions can make the biggest impact in a student’s day.