April is for Autism

CdM’s Halo club promotes awareness for autism

Tasha Karam, Journalist

This April, national autism awareness month, CdM’s Halo club gave students further insight to the internal and external conflicts families and their children with autism face. Their goal was to not only promote awareness, but to bring knowledge to students and include the schools Sparkle program. Halo club used the month to fundraise and inform, but most importantly they made CdM’s Sparkle department feel valued.
Sparkle is CdM’s dance team that consists of students from the special ed department alongside their peers. Dance/movement therapy has become a popular approach for kids with autism to enhance motor ability and communication of emotions, as seen in a study from ePain Assist. Sparkle is lead by CdM students to teach the kids dances and interact with them. To promote autism awareness month, they performed on Thursday the 26th with the Halo members. Sophmore, Lauren Lobel, stated,”I loved being able to see all the kids dance and smile! It was such a great expirience.”
Along with the performance, Halo club members created a wall along the school that consisted of posters informing students of autism statistics and Halo promotion. Freshman, Samantha Brewster, stated,” Making the Halo wall was a great experience! By researching statistics, I learned alot about how common autism is and the expenses a family undergoes. It was a real eye opener and I am looking forward to bringing more awareness to autism and raising more money for the families through Halo!.”
Lastly, Halo finished autism awareness month off by attending Autism Awareness Month Family Night at Harper school. The event was a chance for families to come together with their childrens and enjoy an evening with their kids while also getting a chance to find more ways for thier children to attend activities. Halo members got a chance to dance with the kids and inform families of what the club is all about.
All in all, autism awareness month was a success for Halo. As much as they promoted and informed the youth and families about autism, they gave the kids in Sparkle a day to feel valued and have fun. Halo has so much in store for this upcoming year and the possibilities to expand their horizons as a foundation are endless.