The 9th Annual Thirst Project Gala

Tara Zadeh, Journalist

Last Saturday, April 21, the ninth annual Thirst Project Gala took place at the Beverly Hilton Hotel in Los Angeles. Corona del Mar Academy of Global Studies students and advisors, Ms. Mayberry and Mr. Captan attended. Prior to the event, there was a water crisis interactive walk-through, which allowed people to experience what the water crisis entails first hand. The event began at 8:00 pm with a video that directly showed the Thirst Project’s impact on communities. After the video, the host for the evening, Michelle Monaghan, was introduced. After Seth Maxwell, the Thirst Project’s founder was introduced. Maxwell shared what the Thirst Project meant to him and how it has left an impression on his life. Following Maxwell’s speech, a live auction was held. The auction began with funding wells in countries like Uganda and El Salvador. In addition to funding wells, those in the audience were able to donate. Volunteers helped to facilitate the donations from the Thirst Project contributors in the crowd, and the total of the proceeds raised combined to be the largest amount fundraised ever at a Thirst Project Gala. After the auction, a video was showed that featured children expressing their perspectives on the water crisis and the need for clean water. The entire organization is based around the influence of young people, and this video expressed that even children are able to understand the Thirst Project’s mission and how people are being affected by the lack of water. The evening ended with awards given to various individuals, who dedicated themselves to raising money and awareness towards the cause. Cameron Boyce won the Pioneering Spirit Award, presented by Kenny Ortega and Karan Brar. Once the gala concluded, an after party was held. The evening was very exciting and acknowledged a very incredible cause connected to our school.