JSA Spring State

Back to Article
Back to Article

JSA Spring State

Tara Zadeh, Journalist

On Saturday, April 21 to Sunday, April 22, the Corona del Mar Speech and Debate team attended the Junior State of America (JSA) Spring State Conference at the Irvine Marriott. The conference featured many engaging opportunities for students to encounter different experiences, such as a political fair, workshops for skills, and thought talks. Thought talks are discussions based around a certain topic, that usually entails some type of urgency or importance. Thought alks allow all members to share their input on a topic, allowing various ideas to be highlighted. In addition to activities, JSA Spring State featured debates. JSA has a unique style of debate that includes speeches from a main speakers and subsequent speakers. At this conference many prominent and impactful topics, which are also known as resolutions, were debated, and one of the most powerful things about JSA is its ability to foster the incredible ideas of som many students.
The CdM Speech and Debate team were very successful at Spring State, thanks to the continuous hard work of board members throughout the year. CdM won the chapter participation award, which is awarded to the chapter with the most participation and presence at the conference.
Spring State also features booths, advocating candidates for annual elections for cabinet members and a governor. Campaigning takes place throughout the entire weekend, creating a unique and engaging atmosphere for students. Governors and cabinet members were elected during closing session, securing nest years JSA coordinators and contributors.
The event encompassed so many interesting opportunitiies for students, and it was an incredible experience.