Bringing Singing and Dancing Back to Bomont

Tasha Karam, Journalist

CdM’s drama department brought life to the dull western town of Bomont where the story of a city boy and his love for music and dance now lived after moving from Chicago. The drama students poured their heart and soul into bringing their take on Footloose to life. The play was April 4-8 and each performance was filled with a cheering audience.
Ren McCormack, the protagonist in Footloose, was played by senior, Andres Delgado. McCormack is facing the emotions of his father leaving while trying to make the most of his new life in Bomont where dancing and singing are banned after an accident that brought trauma amongst the townspeople. Delgado stated,” One of the difficulties of having such a demanding role, besides the basic memorization, was making sure my body was in the best possible condition to perform…I would have days where I just had to get on a treadmill and start singing to stay conditioned and give my lungs a thorough workout.” Delgado captured the emotions and passion in his role as McCormack, and being his last performance with the CdM drama department, he poured his heart into every song and dance.
One of the young lives lost in the accident belonged to the towns minister, Reverend Shaw, who was played by junior, Tristan Neal. Neal stated, “ The best part of Footloose was the growth I experienced as an actor and singer.” Neal’s role required both a stern and vulnerable side making his role vital to giving the play the father figure that lost a son and is scared of losing his daughter.
Shaw’s daughter, Ariel Moore, played by junior, Violette Remington. Remington stated,” Theatre is something I’m incredibly passionate about because as an actor it gives me the ability to be in someone else’s shoes and better understand human emotion.” Playing the role of Moore proved to challenge Remington as she stated,” The role requires a certain emotional depth that was difficult to find for a while.” Despite the challenge, Remington played the role with ease and grace.
CdM’s take on Footloose was filled with talent and an uplifting ending to a play that brought insight to a town that was once lifeless. Everyone involved in the production did a phenomenal job and to say the least, it was a success.