Every 15 Minutes

An insight on reality

Tara Zadeh, Journalist

Every 15 minutes is a program that is taking place today on campus. It is centered around creating awareness and contemplation about drinking and driving, as well as maintaining responsibility and making choices that trigger beneficial effects. This program allows the idea of drinking and driving and its consequences to be reinforced into the minds of the young people in society. Not only does it focus on threats to personal safety, but it illuminates the impacts it could potentially have on your family and the people who surround you on a daily basis.
Every 15 minutes originated in Canada and gradually diffused to the United States beginning in Spokane, Washington. The first California presentation was in Chico, and it has since made its way to Newport Beach. Each Every 15 Minutes program is distinct and takes months in advance to plan and prepare, allowing it to correlate directly to the lives of students in each school. Today’s presentation featured Keith Summers, a man who shared his significant story of drinking and driving and how it forever changed his life. Keith began with an explanation of his youth and upbringing. He lived a typical life with loving parents, but often times he was looked upon differently, for he was biracial. Keith spoke of moving to California and becoming successful. Then, he described the night he was in an accident. Summers, who was under the influence of substance, has collided head-on with a vehicle, which resulted in the immediate death of the individual in the other vehicle. Summers was life sentenced, but not because he was a terminally bad person. He had made a mistake, but his mistake impacted him in such a large scale. After serving 18 years, Summers was put on probation, but his years in prison taught him what was really important in his life. He was a changed man, who had the ability to share his story with others and illuminate their lives in such a meaningful way.