Inclusion For Unification

CdM’s inclusion week dance

Natasha Karam, Journalist

Last Friday, March 16, CdM students joined together in unity to end the weeks “Inclusion Week” by attending the dance held by ASB that night. The week was held to exhibit the equality each student should be comprised of. To better showcase the importance of inclusion, ASB partnered with CdM’s “Best Buddies” program showing, appearance and capability should not burden the opportunities given to students.
Students from the grades 7-12 joined together at CdM from 6-8 pm to enjoy the dance with friends and faculty. Students were welcomed to the dance by an arch of balloons and the sound of music and chatter. Activities included, spike balls, volleyball, a photobooth, and a DJ for dancing. Pizza and popsicles were also available for students throughout the dance.
Freshman, Reece Kenerson, stated,” I had so much fun dancing with my friends and it was amazing to see everybody come together to dance and play games despite our differences.” The dance promoted school spirit while also creating a positive and comfortable environment for students to mingle with other students and let go of stress.
Sophomore, Chloe Liu, stated,” Inclusion is something I feel we all overlook. It’s so easy to make somebody’s day by just saying hi and I feel like the dance was a great way for everybody to come together and forget all the labels and stereotypes.” The stigma of labels in schools has excelled to student’s using stereotypes and labels without consciously thinking about it and Inclusion week along with the dance both encouraged unification throughout the schools. This idea was better portrayed through the inclusion of the Best Buddies program during inclusion week and the dance.
Best buddies is an international non profit organization that creates the opportunity for volunteers and students to create one on one friendships with people with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD). Freshman, Alden Mulroy, stated, “ I loved getting to see all the kids I play with at Best Buddies have so much fun with the other students and be able to feel included.”  It is offered as a club at CdM for students to get the opportunity to create a friendship and bond like no other.
All in all, the inclusion week dance was a success for students to join together as one and forget all the labels and stereotypes they are antagonized by. It was a great way to portray the importance of inclusion and unification while surrounding students by an environment full of fun and games.