NCDM Takes Sacramento

CdM’s Youth and Government Delegation Travels to Sacramento for Their Final Conference of the Year

Sierra Hurson, Journalist

On Wednesday, February 14, CdM’s Youth and Government delegation (NCDM) traveled from Newport to Sacramento for their final conference of the 70th Model Legislature and Court year. The conference lasted for four days and is the culmination of all the hard work and dedication of the 4,000 students across California who participate in this program. It is safe to say that NCDM definitely made the most of it.

For this conference, many statewide positions and special program area spots were held by NCDM delegates. Senior Delaney Ivey served as a member of the Youth Board of Directors, Claire Nakamura (senior) served as the Director of the Department of Finance, Kalia Rodich (senior) presided over the senate as Speaker Pro Tem, and Solomon Sonenshine served as a Chief Whip of the senate. Justin Le (junior), Youssef Kallel (junior), and Ireland Horvat (senior) presided over the National Issues Commission as commission chairs. Seniors Emily Freyman and Grace Hummelberg both had leadership roles as lobbyists with Freyman as governor’s lobbyist and Hummelberg as lead lobbyist. Freshman Dominic Cuneo presided over Forum as Sergeant at Arms. Special program area spots were held by Juniors Alexis Preedge, Tessa Conti, and Nikka Afshar. Preedge and Conti were members of the California Emergency Team and Afshar was on Jury Trial.

In terms of program area achievements, all of NCDM delegates of the Constitutional Convention gave pro and con speeches and passed proposals. Three NCDM National Issues Commission proposals passed to General Assembly and three bills sponsored by NCDM delegates in the legislative houses were sent to the Youth Governor’s desk.

On the final night of the conference at the Governor’s banquet, NCDM was announced as one of the recipients of Delegation of Distinction. Brandon Fischer, the delegation’s lead advisor and former math teacher at CdM, was overjoyed with all of the delegation’s hard work and accomplishments, “ I was so proud of what we accomplished this year. It was definitely a year of transition and some unknowns, but the passion, commitment, and excellence exhibited by NCDM in Sacramento showed how special we are. I am truly excited about the future of this delegation.”

There is no question that Youth and Government is an extremely special and impactful program and is a prominent contribution to a positive culture on CdM’s campus. It cultivates friendships, leadership, and perspective that are hard to gain elsewhere. It is rare in life that an individual can find something that transforms who they are and how they view the world around them. The students who are apart of this program are lucky to have found that.