AP Meetings

Zoe Deralas, Journalist

The time of the year to get information about next year’s advanced placement (AP) classes is here. Opportunities to challenge oneself lure students to try new courses and truly tackle the obstacles to do well. At CdM, there is truly a plethora of AP classes ranging from chemistry and environmental science to language arts, history and literature. These challenging courses are rigorous and packed with information needed for the AP exam, but to see if one is interested in taking any, it is very beneficial that there are informational meetings at this time of year.
On Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday of this week at lunch, Mrs. Holk is holding her informational meetings for the junior class, AP language arts. The meetings give a rundown of the class and offer the students a final idea of if the class is meant for them.
Also, after Ski Week, which is the week of February 26th, Mrs. Holk will be hosting the essay portion of the process to get into AP Lang, along with a reading option as well. This opportunity is for current sophomores.
Imagine going into an AP class with the curiosity of how the class will be, but never got any further beneficial tips about the class. This is why the AP teachers at CdM make sure students have a full and clear idea of their course, long enough before the new school year starts to prepare. Keep in mind that many if not all AP classes have summer work that needs to be completed before the new school year.
Mrs. Topping also has informational meetings about her AP literature classes this week at lunch on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday as well. This class is a senior course, and all necessary information will be provided at the meetings. It never hurts to stop by, because interests can develop fairly quickly for certain topics.
Once again, remember that these courses are not for everyone, and every student is unique in their own way has their own interests. One should never feel discouraged if they choose not to take AP courses, it is important that everyone is comfortable at their speed and level of learning without comparing themselves to others.