Ending the Life Halt for Humanity

Human trafficking and freedom project’s hope for a change

Natasha Karam, Journalist

In the United States, between 14,500 and 17,500 people are human trafficked in the U.S. per year according to dosomething.org. Sourced from Polaris Project, all of these men, women, girls, and childrens lives are put at halt to become an item bought for forced labor, comercial sex, and fraud or coercion. Efforts all over the U.S., including CdM’s Freedom Project, are fighting to stop the booming business that makes $32 billion a year, as said from dosomething.org.
The Freedom Project is a movement dedicated to raising awareness for human trafficking and finding ways of prevention. CdM’s club presidents are Claire Neushul and Lauren Griffin. The goal of the club is to shed light on the trafficking that happens right before the eyes of Orange County citizens.
According to Voices of the Youth, some factors that make the youth more vulnerable towards becoming victims of human trafficking include; poverty, ignorance, family crisis, maltreatment at home, porous border, and unemployment.
Not only is ignorance a burden to victims, but it also affects the he slavery business’s growth. Griffin stated, “Forming this club meant alot for me especially since most of us are not aware of the prevalence of human trafficking in Orange County.” By remaining ignorant towards the lives being put on pause to become a slave, the industry will continue to take lives daily.
Freedom Project is working to bring back the lives of children and adults from being priced and sold. Griffin stated her goal to stop the slavery,”Human trafficking unfortunately is the 3rd largest crime industry in the U.S. and growing. However, law enforcement is improving to recognize victims and society is also becoming more aware. There is a hope to end human trafficking!”
With movements like The Freedom Project and students striving for an end to human trafficking, there is the possibility to bring light back into the shadowed lives of trafficking victims.