Flu Epidemic

Audrey Tumbarello, Journalist

It is 2018 and the flu is going around like crazy. The flu started in Colorado in October, moved to South Carolina, and then so fourth. According to fortune.com, “the influenza virus has been the most widespread outbreak since public authorities began keeping track 12 dozen years ago.” The flu spreads by tiny droplets made when people with the flu cough, sneeze, or talk.
Not only had it been deadly for thousands already, but this is the first year that the entire continental US has had activity of the life threatening disease.
On December 31, Kate Hunter a alumni rower at NAC, died of the flu. She was 20 years old and died in Arizona according to Thetech.com.
Two days after catching the flu a women in San Jose, California died. She was a marathon racer and even got the flu shot, but it was not enough.
California hospitals have been described by the LA Times as a “war zone.” Multiple doctors have been working over time. They have set up tents outside of the hospitals to help patients because this year there has been an overwhelming amount of sick patients. The tents that they are using are called surge tents and they are supposed to be used for major disasters. According to the LA Times, “45 people have died just under that age of 65 compared to the 9 that died last year.” For people under 65, state officials only keep track of them. The amount of people that have died of the disease is a lot higher. Just in January of 2018 there has been 16 deaths. In all Los Angeles has had 36 fatalities and San Diego has had 91.
Sources say that the influenza virus is at its peak currently. There is an appropriate of 11-13 weeks of the flu going around the country. Stay healthy and happy.