“All Rights Reserved” Book Review

Brooklyn Hollander, Journalist

“All Rights Reserved” is the first book in the new Words series by Gregory Scott Kasoulis. This dystopian book is an extreme version of a part of the world we live in today. The concept of the novel is intriguing and will grab many people’s attention.
“All Rights Reserved” is set in a world where you have to pay for every word you say and gesture you make. There is a copyright on everything from music to words to gestures and even the way someone looks. As soon as someone turns fifteen they must start paying these fines. For people who are poor, this severely limits what they can say.
When someone turns fifteen, they are legally obligated for their first paid words to be a speech that basically promotes companies that the person will sponsor for their whole life. For Speth, when she goes to read her speech, she makes the decision to not speak ever because of an event that occured right before she was about to read it. She doesn’t do it to rebel, but it ends up creating a revolution. Everywhere people stop speaking and the government can’t do much about it.
While the preface for this book is quite interesting, it doesn’t quite live up to its expectations. Since the main character of the story doesn’t speak, it was difficult to get to know her. Also, she was quite an aggravating character since she could be telling people important information that would change the course of the events, but she stayed quiet.
The story also moves quite slowly. The author takes a while to get to the exciting plot points in the story and this negatively impacts the reader’s enjoyment of the book. Another thing is that the way that the main character discovers things and comes to conclusions was sometimes very abrupt and unnatural.
This story had a very interesting concept and the world was extremely unique, but the characters and character development could have been better. Overall this book is a four out of five stars. Someone who loves dystopian novels will be sure to enjoy the world of this story.