Uniting as One for Autism

HALO Foundation brings dancers together

INFORMATION: 6/9/13 - cu.halodance.0610 - MELINA PIZANO, ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER -

ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

Natasha Karam, Journalist

The HALO foundation was started by Corona del Mar High School’s own teacher, Cami Marseilles, when she discovered her sons were showing signs of autism. After uncovering how expensive it is to provide her children with the services they needed, she decided to raise awareness through bring her two passions together, her kids and dance.
At CdM, the clubs presidents are junior’s Hailey Glenn and Lauren Adams. HALO has high school clubs all over California and every year, awareness is promoted through their annual HALO dance showcase on February 2-3. The showcase brings together high school, studio,
and professional dancers to perform for the cause.
The goal of the club is to bring awareness, knowledge, and funding to affected families in the community through dance. Other than the show, the club members outreach to children with autism and put together fundraisers to raise money for autism.
Adams stated,” My favorite part of HALO is when we finally get to give out scholarships to children with autism so they are able to afford treatment and therapy. This makes all of our hard work so rewarding and I love to see the change we make in the kids’ lives.”
HALO has given dancers the opportunity to see the change their movement creates. By doing what they love, dance, they are able to help make a difference for children with autism. Adams also stated,” I think it’s really important to find a way to take what you are passionate about doing and find a way to use it to help others.”
Not only does the foundation support families in need, but it helps dancers of all ages understand the power of their dedication towards making a difference. Freshman Hailey Webb said, “HALO has taught me the impact I can make through dance. It is such a good feeling knowing that I am contributing to putting smiles on all of these kids faces.” Over the years HALO will continue to grow and change lives.