“The Uncondemned”

Sierra Hurson, Journalist

In light of International Human Rights Day earlier this month the Academy of Global Studies had the opportunity to screen a documentary called The Uncondemned. The documentary follows a group of lawyers and activists as they attempted to prosecute rape as an international war crime in the Rwandan Genocide, which had never been done before. In 1997, this group of young men and women were successful in their pursuit, as they found themselves at the Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda in charge of the first prosecution of genocide in history. The documentary highlights their struggle and the incredible obstacles they faced. This group consisted of Pierre-Richard Prosper, an American lawyer, prosecutor, and former government official who served as the second U.S. States Ambassador for war crimes issues under President George W. Bush, Sara Darehshori, a senior counsel in the U.S. program who researches and advocates for issues relating to domestic sexual assault cases, and Patricia Sellers, an international criminal attorney and an advisor of prosecution strategies for the prosecutor of the International Criminal Court. The documentary hit close to home for many of the Academy students as they were able to connect what they’ve learned in their history courses to the personal stories of victims told throughout the film. Academy Junior Sumner Warden thought the film illustrated a realistic vision of the events that took place, “ The Uncondemned excellently portrays the suffering of the women of the Rwandan Genocide, a subject that does not get a lot of attention but is extremely important to learn about. The first time I was really exposed to this event was Freshman year in AP Human Geography. It was extremely valuable to be able to focus on this topic in class because I gained a lot of perspective. We also revisited it last year in AP World when Mr. Kennedy showed his class Hotel Rwanda. Throughout my time in the Academy, I have learned that often times the issues that are least often discussed can teach us the most. I am grateful we had the opportunity to be exposed to such an inspiring and incredible story”.