Modern Christmas Music

Back to Article
Back to Article

Modern Christmas Music

siamusic.net

siamusic.net

siamusic.net

Zoe Deralas, Journalist

Over the years, all of us have come to know the Christmas classics when it comes to music. There’s “Frosty the Snowman”, “Jingle Bells”, “Santa Claus is Coming to Town” and so many more. There is a countless amount of covers for these wonderful songs, but some groups and solo artists are creating some new Christmas tunes, and they are doing a more modern take on the music.
For example, Sia, a world renown recording artist, has made a Christmas album this year called Everyday is Christmas, and it is filled with a variety of new and catchy rhythms. Her album features ten completely new Christmas songs that already have over sixteen million views on YouTube, and a countless amount of plays on Spotify.
A popular a capella group, Pentatonix, is extraordinarily talented for their covers of popular hit songs. For their Christmas album, they made intricate arrangements of songs such as “Little Drummer Boy”, “Carol of the Bells”, “That’s Christmas to Me”, “Mary Did you Know”, and more. Their versions of the song do not require a backing track, because they only use their voices for the beats, rhythms and percussion of the music. With over fourteen million subscribers on YouTube, their fans are happy to listen to their music. They have gotten wonderful reviews from top music companies, such as Billboard, and are currently on tour. Very many people enjoy their unique style of music, and their covers are definitely being played in countless homes to embrace the warm feeling of the holidays.
There are plenty of recording artists and musicians on the rise, and new Christmas music will continue to be created. However, the Christmas classics will never cease to fill the lovely holiday feelings during this time of year.