CdM Power Club

Esther Havens Photography

Esther Havens Photography

Zoe Deralas, Journalist

This year, there has been a plethora of great new clubs here at CdM. They all have such profound goals and motivation to make them strive for their greatest. One of those clubs, known as the Power Club is doing exactly that, and it is a great way to get involved in helping others.
The president of the club, Valentina Zhu, has been motivated to create a club like this for a while, and she is beyond happy that it is a reality now. The goal of the Power Club is to bring education to everyone, primarily in developing areas and countries.
There are very many obstacles that are preventing children and teens from not being able to get and grasp onto a true education in a healthy learning environment. One of these obstacles is transportation, because many of the children in developing countries unfortunately cannot afford safe transportation, or they live in a place where it is extremely unsafe for a child to be left alone. Another obstacle would be the child’s family needing them at home to take care of loved ones. This is very common, and we take for granted the opportunity to have retirement homes or daycares, because in another life, children have to act like the head of the household and keep everything under control. There are many more reasons, but it’s much more important to focus on the positive side. It’s time to take a stand to help.
Today, Thursday November 30th, there was a meeting for the club in room 427 at lunch. Important issues were discussed, and everyone was so interested on how they could get involved. It is so refreshing to see fellow peers having the will to be so passionate about helping and fixing problems throughout the world.
Zhu was motivated to help everyone obtain an education, because she was inspired by a trip she took to Vietnam years ago, “The part I went to was a poor, suburb area, and the houses were tiny and messy with trash all over the ground.” This experience caused her to realize that not everyone has access to things that members of developed countries take for granted. She also realized how happy the members of that community were, they smiled endlessly, and that is what created a spark for the Power Club to light.
The Power Club mainly focuses on developing areas in Guatemala and Ghana, and their ultimate goal is to help by donating clothing, school supplies and even building schools for children so they do not have to walk dangerous paths to get an education. “My favorite part of the club is the members, because we are like a family that share the same philosophy. We want to continue to provide education to developing countries, because it will create a turn for the better.”
It is not hard to enroll in clubs that help make a difference in the world. There are more and more clubs popping up at CdM that give the perfect opportunity for one to do so. Zhu states that the simplest way to join an organization is to get involved and don’t hesitate to join local organizations with good soul purposes. Find out what problem in the world you would like to actively and passionately change, get involved and be the change.